The main function of the Assembly is legislative. Only the Legislative Assembly has the authority to pass the Charter of the Novosibirsk Region, and regional laws which provide the conditions and guarantees to the rights and freedoms of citizens. Regional laws establish measures to support citizens, businesses, demarcate the competence of public authorities, and provide appropriate funding from the budget of the Novosibirsk Region.
Representative function means the Legislative Assembly as a representative branch of state power expresses the will of citizens and acts on behalf of their interests.
Control function of the Legislative Assembly is realized by organization of control over the observance and implementation of adopted laws of Novosibirsk Region, as well as the execution of the regional budget.
Deputies of the Legislative Assembly are elected for 5 years term.
The general form of activity is session, which may consist of several conferences. The session is organized at least once in three months.
The Legislative Assembly fulfills issues of organizational, legal, informational, logistical and financial support of its activity.
Main competencies of Legislative Assembly of Novosibirsk Region.
Legislative Assembly adopts the Charter of the Novosibirsk Region and makes amendments, also adopts laws of the Novosibirsk Region (by Article 37 of the Charter).
In general, the power of Legislative Assembly provides the right for legal regulation of wide range of economic, social and other issues.
The Legislative Assembly of Novosibirsk region is authorized to:
• provide the candidate proposed by the President of the Russia Federation with authority of Governor of Novosibirsk Region.
• propose the legislative initiative in the State Duma of the Russia Federation.
• elect the representative of the Legislative Assembly of the Novosibirsk Region is the member of the Federation Council.
• approve or reject the project of agreement about delimitation of powers between the Russian Federation and Novosibirsk Region;
• approve the agreement about changing the boundaries of the Novosibirsk Region;
• appoint the regional referendum of Novosibirsk Region;
• appoint the election date of deputies to Legislative Assembly of Novosibirsk Region;
• consent to the appointment of The First Deputy (The First deputies) of the Governor of Novosibirsk Region;
• consent to the appointment of head of the: financial executive body of the Novosibirsk Region, executive body of the Novosibirsk Region in sphere of state property of the Region, as well as the executive body of the Novosibirsk Region in the sphere of social protection of citizens;
• accept decision about confidence or no- confidence in respect of the Governor of Novosibirsk Region, as well as above listed heads of executive bodies of state power;
• appoint and dismiss the Commissioner for Human Rights in the Novosibirsk Region.
• consent to the appointment of the Prosecutor of Novosibirsk Region;
• appoint the Chairman, Vice-Chairman and judges of the Charter Court of Novosibirsk Region and the Magistrates;
• appoint and dismisses the Chairman, Vice-Chairman and auditors of the Accounting Chamber of Control of Novosibirsk Region;
• appoint the half of the elective commission members of the Novosibirsk Region
• consent to the appointment of heads of territorial bodies of federal executive authorities in case when it is established by federal law;
• appoint the representatives of the public in the Qualification Board of Judges of the Novosibirsk Region and representatives of the Legislative Assembly in the Qualification Commission at Bar Association;
• consent to the appointment membership of the administrative commission of the Novosibirsk Region;
• Establish the mass media of the Legislative Assembly of the Novosibirsk Region;
• discuss an annual report about results of the executive authorities activity in Novosibirsk Region;
• fulfill other duties within the jurisdiction of the Legislative Assembly by federal law and laws of the Novosibirsk Region.